Our final article in the “Why localise…” series looks at the localisation of Market Research and why it is needed.

There was a time when companies could prosper by focusing on single country sales or perhaps targeting a handful of English-speaking markets only. Others may have established operations in some of the world’s largest foreign economies, only focusing on an English-speaking audience.

To maximise success in today’s competitive environment, however, it is paramount to see beyond English as a global language and embrace the world as an ever-growing global marketplace.

As we discussed in the previous article in our series, the internet has become increasingly global and most internet users prefer content in their native language, with many not browsing in anything than their native tongue.

In fact, only 5% of the world population speak English as their native language, leaving the remaining 95% of global consumers’ thoughts and insights unknown, if Market Research is only conducted in English. To ensure elevated global growth for multinational companies, and smaller firms, wishing to sell worldwide or targeting specific countries overseas, localised Market Research should be considered a key investment.

Some of the biggest opportunities also lie in the emerging markets. The largest of which do not use English as a first language, such as China, Brazil, the Middle East & Russia. Furthermore, these countries have poor literacy rates in English as a second language. Other regions, where English is more widely understood, such as India, should still be considered for localised research. Most studies conducted rely on people’s descriptive experiences and emotional opinions; ideas and thoughts which are extremely difficult to concisely and correctly express in a second language.

Added to this is the perceived consumer relationship, which is elevated using a consumer’s native tongue. It brings a brand closer to the individual and supports a company’s image with a wider audience.

Just because the global business language is English, does not mean a customer’s language is.

Visit our Industries overview to find out more about Market Research localisation and how we can help you take the next step.

Other articles in this series:

  1. Why localise… eLearning courses?
  2. Why localise… a website?
transcription services

Minute Taking

Global Lingo is the leading provider of high-quality, expert minute taking and transcription services at an international scale. Taking minutes in meetings, whatever the sector, can be a complex process dependent on pre-planning, acute concentration and a masterly writing technique.

Discover More
transcription services


Language barriers can be problematic, especially in an international organisation with offices across the globe. For these situations, we can provide different interpreting services – for instance, simultaneous, consecutive and remote interpreting – to overcome this linguistic barrier.

Discover More